Lyft and Uber Accident Lawyer
Taking an Uber or Lyft has become so ubiquitous, many people don’t even think twice when they hop into a rideshare. However, like any vehicle on the road, accidents can and do happen. If a serious accident occurs and people are injured, there are consequences. Our Uber accident lawyer in Cerritos is here to make sure your rights are protected.
If you were in an accident as a rideshare passenger or driver, call Heritage Accident Lawyers for a free consultation. We will come up with a plan to ensure you receive compensation for your injuries in an Uber or Lyft accident claim. Call us at (562) 376-5595 today.
How Many Uber Drivers Are There in the United States?
Since its inception in 2009, Uber has grown to become the largest rideshare service in the world. As of 2023, there are approximately 1 million Uber drivers and 750,000 Lyft drivers in the U.S. In 2020, an Uber economist reported that California had 209,000 Uber drivers. Los Angeles is one of Uber’s biggest markets.
How Common Are Lyft and Uber Accidents?
Lyft and Uber accidents are becoming more common as the popularity of ridesharing services increases. It is estimated that rideshare services have contributed to a 3% increase in car accident fatalities in the U.S. since 2011.
According to Uber’s own safety report, Uber vehicles were involved in 97 fatal crashes and 107 deaths in 2018. Some of the most common causes of Uber accidents in Los Angeles are:
- Driver distraction
- Running red lights or stop signs
- Driver fatigue
Depending on who acted negligently and caused the accident, you may be able to file a rideshare claim against the driver or rideshare company. Both Uber and Lyft offer similar insurance coverage according to the status of the driver.
What Happens If I’m in An Uber or Lyft Accident?
Whether you are a passenger in an Uber car, an Uber driver, or in another vehicle, there are important steps to take after a Uber or Lyft accident.
- Call 911: In the event of a serious accident resulting in injuries or severe property damage, you are required to call law enforcement. The police will arrive at the scene and file a report, which can be useful for your claim.
- Exchange information: Collect the other driver’s contact information, including name, phone number, license plate number, and insurance details. You should also get the name and contact information of any witnesses.
- Take photos and videos: At the accident scene, gather evidence, such as photos and videos, that show the vehicles, the injuries, and any other relevant information. This can help you document the extent of the damage and prove liability.
- Report the accident to Uber or Lyft: You can do this on the app or through by calling their customer service line. They will contact you and ask you some questions about the accident. You should be honest and cooperative, but avoid admitting fault or giving a recorded statement without consulting an Uber accident attorney.
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible: Even if you feel fine, it is important to get checked out after a car accident. Some injuries may not show up right away, and you will need treatment and medical bills to support your claim.
- Contact an Uber accident lawyer: Find an attorney with experience settling Uber and Lyft cases. They can help you understand your legal options, deal with the insurance company, and pursue the compensation accident victims deserve.
Uber and Lyft Safety Tips
While most Uber and Lyft rides are completed safely, accidents can happen at any time. Here are some safety tips to keep in mind when using a rideshare service:
As a passenger:
- Before you get into the vehicle, check the car make, model, and license plate.
- Match the driver to the picture in your app and ask your driver who they’re here for.
- Always wear your seatbelt. It is your best protection in the event of a crash.
- Share your trip status with a family member or friend so they can track your ride.
- Protect your personal information by only using the app to communicate with your driver.
- If you feel unsafe at any time, end the ride or call 911.
As an Uber or Lyft driver:
- Confirm the rider’s name before they enter your vehicle.
- Follow posted speed limits and slow down around schools and shopping centers.
- Stay alert by keeping your eyes on the road.
- Plan your route ahead of time and use a hands-free device. Texting and driving is illegal in California.
- Watch out for pedestrians and bicyclists, especially at night and when you’re pulling over to pick up or drop off a passenger.
- Make sure to pull over where it is legal.
Contact an Experienced Uber Accident Attorney
If you were in an accident involving Uber or Lyft, the dedicated legal team at Heritage Accident Lawyers can help you obtain fair compensation from the at-fault party’s insurance company. Our Cerritos Uber accident attorney is 100% dedicated to representing injured victims of car accidents, motorcycle accidents, and truck accidents.
When you call our personal injury team, we will begin by asking you questions about your Uber or Lyft accident, including when, where, and how it happened. We will gather all the necessary evidence so that we can make a strong claim to the insurance company. Our experienced Uber accident lawyer knows how to deal with the rideshare company and their legal teams. Call us to schedule a free consultation at (562) 376-5595 or fill out our quick online contact form.